CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, October 02, 2006

The Real World

These past couple of weeks have been hard- especially on my bank account! I ended up having to spend about $850 extra dollars this past week due to unexpected car/DMV expenses. Normally, I have a budget for every month and I’m prepared. This time, however, I was not prepared. I wasn’t expecting a smog check to end up costing an extra $450, and for my license and registration to end up costing $370 instead of $170. Needless to say, I have been complaining a little this past week…no…make that a lot this past week. After I lamented about my money issues with my dad on the phone, he responded in a hearty voice and said, “Welcome to the real world!” “Blah,” I thought, “I hate the real world!”

After I complained and whined until my heart’s content, I began to think about this whole “being out in the real world” thing. I realized that, despite how hard and annoying it can be some times, I’m really excited to be living out here in this so-called, “real world.” I mean, here I am, living on my own, in Los Angeles no less! And I’m not out on the streets scrounging around for food; I actually live in a really nice apartment about 10 minutes from Beverly Hills! (I didn't say I lived IN Beverly Hills...just by it! = P) Not only am I out here with the freedom to pursue the acting/singing career I’ve always wanted, but I can go to the beach any time of the year! I also get really excited about the fact that I can live in any state I want. I remember when I was little I used to think, “Man, I wish we could live in this state,” or, “it would be really nice to live in that state!” But now I actually can live in “this state” or in “that state!” I can live wherever I please, whether my family feels like moving or not. I can also decorate my own place the way I want, and even get a cat if I want to! (Probably much to the displeasure of my roommates, who don’t like cats, heehee!) So right now I'm settling with visiting Toasty, (my boyfriend's cat,) until I have a place of my own. I aaaalways wanted to get a new cat when I was little, and of course my parents would always say “no.” Quite annoyed, I’d usually whine a bit and act really disappointed…and then I’d try asking them again in about a week. = P But…who’s in the power position to say “yes” now? That’s right- ME!

So all in all, as much as I complain about the downside to living in the “real world,” I’m just as excited about the freedom it offers, so I guess it all evens out! = P

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Allison, this is Ann. I've been reading your blog through the feed Christy set up on LJ, and cracking up. I totally know what you mean in this post. Matt & I are finally living in London, and it's expensive as HELL. But, it's something we want to do. So, it's cool. Things work out.

Growing up both sucks and is very cool.

Anonymous said...

I so wish you could read my rant/post about the water company locally. I'm about to kill them all - suffice it to say that through their idiocy I have about $250 in water bills this month!

Unexpected expenses are pretty much crap!