CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, February 07, 2008

Getting into the Routine.

A few minutes ago as I was driving home from work I saw a dead cat lying on the street median. It was sandy colored and had long fur and seeing it lying there helpess made me want to cry. Besides the fact that I hate seeing "any" animal (especially cats and dogs,) dead, I hate having to think about the family to whom the animal was a pet, and how they will find out later, maybe even days later, that their furry friend is dead. :(

The Elephant Bar is such a botch. Let's just say that for the SECOND time this week, I've arrived at work on time only to have them be like, "What? You're working today?" Even though I'm listed right there on the bloody schedule! And because of their idiocracy, this means they don't put me in a table section and I end up with the "extra" tables. (ie the tables that never get sat.) GRRRR! I walked out with a measely $33 today.

Over the past several weeks I've realized that while "getting into the routine of things" is a good thing, it can also be dangerous. For me, once I get into a "routine," I really get into it! For example, for the past several months I would get up, go to work at Starbucks, work-out, work at the Elephant Bar, get home, take a shower, do any cleaning and misc things on my list, and then get on the computer. While this is okay, I was doing this basically every single day out of habit. And since I was so busy doing my "routine," I didn't even realize that I was neglecting other things, like my relationship with Chris! After talking about it with him, I realized how important it is to some times break your routine. To be able to say, "ok, my to-do list can wait. Spending time with my partner is more important." When I feel like I need to clean something instead of spending time with Chris or a friend, I have to remember that more often than not, it's simply my OCD kicking in. (Yes, I have been blessed with OCD that makes me feel like I constantly have to be doing and/or cleaning something.) Another thing is, is that in long term relationships when things start getting comfortable, you some times forget that you still need to work hard and put in the effort. Because trust me, relationships are like cars. If you don't take care of them and perform routine maintanance regularly, they "will" inevitably break down!

Anyway I'm rambling. But just remember, if you're some one like me, (ie some one who gets very set into a routine,) just know that it's important to take a break some times and do something else. Go outside for a walk. Call a friend. Better yet, have coffee with a friend! You get the idea. :P

And that is my nugget of wisdom for the day. :)

0 comments: